As the Vikings wrapped up another championship-less season (the only kind they know), it was clear that coach Leslie Frazier and Co. consider Christian Ponder the team’s starter at quarterback. Barring something drastic, Ponder again will be handed the keys to the offense next fall.
That, however, won’t stop us from considering the alternatives — and there are a few intriguing ones. In no particular order, this is our list of potential Ponder replacements should the Vikings choose to go in another direction or, at the very least, open up the position for competition (highly, highly unlikely):
• Michael Vick — likely on his way out of Philadelphia
• Matt Flynn — signed to a huge deal in Seattle last offseason, Flynn is behind Russell Wilson, who is firmly entrenched as the Seahawks’ slinger/cult figure
• Alex Smith — was having an excellent year before losing his job — via injury — to Colin Kaepernick in San Francisco
• Tim Tebow — looked relatively solid on the punt coverage unit for the Jets
• Kirk Cousins — has shown flashes of brilliance while filling in for RG3 in Washington
Again, probably a pointless pursuit given the Vikings’ commitment to Ponder, but that doesn’t mean we can’t play a little what-if.
Are we missing any?